There is a simple sciatic nerve exercise that has helped many people find sciatic pain relief. It is a simple exercise that you can do at home and it only takes a few minutes of your time. If you practice this one exercise several times a day, it shouldn’t take long before you notice a difference.
Before getting into the details of this simple sciatic nerve exercise, I want to make one thing clear up front. You may notice a remarkable decrease in your sciatica pain. In some cases, people report that this exercise has virtually eliminated their pain. But one important fact remains. If your pain goes away, you still haven’t taken care of the problem. Everything that has been causing your sciatica problems is still there. You may have relieved the pain, temporarily, but you haven’t solved the problem. If you stop at this point, it is more than likely that your sciatica pain and symptoms will return.
People suffering from sciatica pain and its related symptoms are most interested in pain relief. For best results, it is recommended that you see a doctor. Your doctor will be able to determine exactly where your sciatica symptoms is originating. Your doctor will be able to recommend various pain killers and anti-inflammatory drugs. He/she may also recommend additional therapy and treatments.
But if you’d like to try a simple sciatic nerve exercise, here is one that you can try right now. When doing this exercise, be sure to stop if there is any pain. The point is to make you feel better, not worse.
1. Like on your back with your knees bent.
2. Raise your affected leg (or the leg on your affected side).
3. Cross your leg over on top of your other leg.
4. Bring it all the way over so that your top knee rests on your bottom knee.
5. Curl up slightly so that you can grab your opposite knee (the lower knee) with both hands.
6. Slowly pull the knee towards your body. Stop when you feel a good stretch.
7. Hold this position for several seconds before slowly returning to your starting position.
8. Do several of these sciatic nerve exercises in a row. Repeat three times a day.
As I mentioned earlier, this sciatic nerve exercise is only the beginning. It is only a temporary treatment that works by stretching and relaxing the muscles and areas involved in triggering your sciatic nerve pain. The next step is to go a little bit deeper and identify and then correct the underlying physical dysfunctions and muscle imbalances that created the sciatica in the first place.